Self-financed Research Stay
Use of the Institute Library
Permission to conduct research in the library can be granted where there is a legitimate academic need that cannot be fulfilled by other libraries. Such permission encompasses access to the reading rooms, the library stacks and the journals room.
The following groups of individuals are eligible to apply:
- Postdoctoral candidates
- Doctoral candidates
- In individual cases, academic assistants engaged by a professor.
The following application materials are necessary:
- A brief academic CV
- Specification of the topic of research and the period of the desired research stay
Doctoral and postdoctoral candidates:
- A detailed summary of the intended dissertation
- The recommendation of the supervising professor indicating the topic of research and the need to use the library of the Max Planck Institute
- Specific indication of the duration of the planned research stay
The research stay of doctoral candidates should not exceed one year. Use of the library by German doctoral candidates is limited in the months of July and August each year as the infrastructure of the library is needed to accommodate our international guest researchers.
Academic assistants engaged by a professor:
- A letter from the professor detailing the specific tasks to be completed by the assistant in the library
Decisions on granting admission to the library will be made after receipt of the application materials; in the event of a positive decision, an invitation will be sent with confirmation of a working space.
There is no general entitlement to admission; among other factors, the determination will depend on the number of available workspaces in the reading room.
Please send your detailed application materials to the head of Reader Services: