Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Jürgen Basedow, LL.M. (Harvard Univ.)
Phone: +49 40 419 00 - 316
Facsimile: +49 40 419 00 - 309
Assistance: Gisela Schmitz-Krause
Phone: +49 40 419 00 - 315
Main Fields of Research:
Private International Law, European Private and Economic Law, especially Competition Law, Transport and Traffic Law, Insurance Law
- Born on September 29. 1949 in Hamburg, Germany, Studies in law and sociology at the universities of Hamburg, Geneva/Switzerland and Pavia/Italy. 1977 Visiting Research Fellow at the Asser Institute for International Law at The Hague, 1977-1978 Research Assistant at the Institute of Comparative Law at Paris; 1974 and 1979 First and Second State Examination in Law at Hamburg, Dr. iur. (Univ. of Hamburg), 1980-1981 Harvard Law School, Cambridge, Mass., LL.M., 1979-1986 Research Fellow, Max Planck Institute, Hamburg, 1986 Dr. iur. habil. (Univ. of Hamburg).
- 1987-1995 Professor of Private Law, Comparative Law, Private International Law, International Litigation and International Economic Law at the University of Augsburg, 1993-1994 Dean of that Faculty, 1995-1997 Professor of Private Law, Private International Law and International Economic Law at the Free University of Berlin, since 1997 Director, Max Planck Institute for Comparative and International Private Law, Hamburg and Professor at the University of Hamburg.
- Visiting Professor: Univ. of Ferrara (1989, 1991), Univ. of Genoa (1989, 1991), Univ. of Lyon III (1992, 1997), Univ. of Pittsburgh, Pa. (1993), Univ. of Verona (1999), Univ. of Rotterdam (2000), Univ. of Paris II (2001), Univ. of Tunis II (2002), Univ. of Oxford (2003), New York University (2011), Staatl. Lomonosov-Univ. Moskau (2015); Hague Academy of International Law: 1997 Course on International Competition Law (in French) and 2012: General Course on Private International Law (in English); Marco Polo Fellow at the Silk Road Institute of International Law of Xi'an Jiaotong University, China (2008).
- Membership in Governmental Advisory Committees: 1988-1991 Vice Chairman of the German Deregulation Committee (Federal Ministry of Economic Affairs), 1988-now German Council of Private International Law (Federal Ministry of Justice), 1992-1993 Committee on the Licensing of Mass Consignments (Federal Ministry of Post and Communications), 1992-1996 Committee on Transport Law (Federal Ministry of Justice), 1996-2002 Referee of the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (German Research Council) for Comparative Law, Private International Law and International Litigation, 1997-2000 Advisory Board of the Federal Ministry of Transport, 2000-2008 Member of the German Monopoly Commission www.monopolkommission.de, 2004-2008 its Chairman, 2000-2004 Committee on Insurance Law (Federal Ministry of Justice), 2004-2005 Think Tank on Private Enforcement of DG Competition of the European Commission, 2005-2010 Advisory Board of the German Supervisory Authority for Financial Services (BAFIN), 2013-2015 Commission Expert Group on a European Insurance Contract Law.
- Membership in Academies: Titular Member (since 1998) and Secretary General (2006-2014) of the International Academy of Comparative Law www.iuscomparatum.org, since 2011 Associate of the Institut de Droit International www.idi-iil.org, 1998-now Member and President (2006-2008) of the International Academy of Commercial and Consumer Law, 1998-2000 Member of the German-American Academic Council, Member of the Group Européen de droit international privé (GEDIP) www.gedip-egpil.eu (since 2000, 2015-2018 President) and since 1999 Member of the Project Group "Restatement of European Insurance Contract Law", Member of the Executive Board (2005-2009) and of the Advisory Board (since 2009) of the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationales Recht www.dgfir.de, 2000-now Member of the Academia Europaea, Honorary Member of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences (since 2007), Member of the Scientific Council Barcelona Graduate School of Economics (since 2007), Chairman of the Board of the Deutsch-Türkische Juristenvereinigung (1998-2012) www.dtjv.de, Member of the Board of Trustees (since 2007) and of the Executive Board (since 2009) of the Hamburgische Wissenschaftliche Stiftung, Member of the American Law Institute www.ali.org (since 2008), Member of the Board of Trustees of the International Foundation for the Law of the Sea www.iflos.org (since 2009), Foreign Director of the Institute of International Law of the Sea and Maritime Law, School of Law, Shandong University/China (since 2014).
- Honours: 1979 Otto Hahn Medal, Max Planck Society; 1987 Kurt Hartwig Siemers Award, Hamburg Scientific Foundation; 1989 Award of the Stinnes Foundation; 2002 honorary doctorate in law (Dr. jur. h.c.) awarded by the University of Stockholm; 2008 honorary professorate at Xi'an Jiaotong Univ.; 2012 honorary doctorate in economics (Dr. rer. pol. h.c.) awarded by Leuphana University, Lüneburg, 2012 honorary doctorate (Dr. jur. h.c.) awarded by Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University, 2013 honorary doctorate (Dr. jur. h.c.) awarded by Kyushu University in Fukuoka, 2016 honorary doctorate (Dr. jur. h.c.) awarded by Université Panthéon Assas - Paris II.
- Academic administration: 1993-1994 Dean of the Faculty of Law, Univ. of Augsburg; 2000-2003 Chairman of the Humanities Section, Max Planck Society for the Advancement of the Science; 2004-2006 Acting Director of the Max Planck Institute for History, Göttingen.
European Contract Law and the Digital Agenda
- Location: Keio University, Tokyo/Japan
Comparative Law and Its Clients
Joint Symposium of the Faculty of Law of Kyoto University and the Max Planck Institute for comparative and international Private Law
- Location: University of Kyoto, Kyoto/Japan
Brexit and Commercial Law
18th Biennial Conference of the International Academy of Commercial and Consumer Law
- Location: Kyushu University, Fukuoka/Japan
Recent Courses: Please refer to the German page
Employee Participation and Collective Bargaining in Europe and China (Beiträge zum ausländischen und internationalen Privatrecht, 110), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen 2016, XV + 257
Principles of European Insurance Contract Law (PEICL), 2nd Expanded Edition, Otto Schmidt, Köln 2016, LIV + 921
The Hamburg Lectures on Maritime Affairs 2011-2013 (Hamburg Studies on Maritime Affairs, 28), Springer, Berlin 2015, 302
The Law of Open Societies - Private Ordering and Public Regulation in the Conflict of Laws, Brill Nijhoff, Leiden 2015, XXV + 634
Private Law Beyond the Nation State - Studies on the globalization and europeanization of private law (Translation into Persian by Alireza Arvahi and Ali Shirvani), Intescharat-e Gahdad, Isfahan 2014, 167
The Law of Open Societies: Private Ordering and Public Regulation of International Relations: General Course on Private International Law (Recueil des Cours, Collected Courses of the Hague Academy of International Law, 360), Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, Leiden/Boston 2013, 515
Russische Übersetzung unter dem Titel: Право открытых обществ - частное и государственное регулирование международных отношений: Общий курс международного частного права / Ю. Базедов, 2016. ISBN 978-5-91768-723-0
Die Europäisierung des Versicherungsvertragsrechts in der Warteschleife, in: Egon Lorenz (
Kohärenz im Internationalen Privat- und Verfahrensrecht der Europäischen Union – Eine einleitende Orientierung, in: Jan von Hein, Giesela Rühl (
Max Planck Private Law Research Paper No. 16/7
European Contract Law: The Way Towards CESL and Beyond, in: Yoshikazu Kawasumi et al. (
General Principles of European Private Law and Interest Analysis - Some Reflections in the Light of Mangold and Audiolux, European Review of Private Law 24, 3+4 (2016), 331 - 352.
Der verfahrensrechtliche Rahmen richterlicher Rechtsfortbildung – Einführender Überblick, Rabels Zeitschrift für ausländisches und internationales Privatrecht 80 (2016), 237 - 253.
Max Planck Private Law Research Paper No. 15/13
Hundert Jahre Rechtsvergleichung. Von wissenschaftlicher Erkenntnisquelle zur obligatorischen Methode der Rechtsanwendung, Juristenzeitung 71 (2016), 269 - 280.
Max Planck Private Law Research Paper No. 16/9